Be Mobile Ready
– Virginia launches free emergency preparedness mobile app –
RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell announced today a way for Virginians to become "mobile ready" for disasters. The Ready Virginia mobile app, developed by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, gives Virginians a new way to prepare for disasters and also to stay informed during emergencies with the latest information.
The free Ready Virginia app for iPhone® and Android™ mobile devices provides emergency planning and preparedness guidance along with several other important features, including:
- Location- specific weather watches and warnings as well as flood information issued by the National Weather Service
- Disaster news from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- Maps with open American Red Cross shelters, hurricane evacuation routes, hurricane storm surge zones and stream gauges
- A template for creating a customized family emergency plan that can be easily shared
- Local emergency manager contact information
- Links to register for local emergency alerts
"Mobile phones and tablets quickly have become a primary way for people to stay informed during disasters. Last year, social media and web-based information were critical to informing the public and keeping individuals updated with important information during the severe derecho wind storm and Hurricane Sandy," said Governor McDonnell. "The new Ready Virginia mobile app gives people another way to stay informed and quickly identify services and other valuable resources regardless of their location.
The Ready Virginia app is available for download in the App StoreSM and in Google Play™ for Android™.
In addition to the mobile app, the Virginia Department of Emergency Management launched a mobile version of its website at m.vaemergency.gov. The mobile site contains all the information available on VDEM's regular website, but with easier navigation for those who use smart phones and tablets to access websites.
"This new app is one of the most important ones Virginians can install on their mobile devices. Now our citizens can get 'mobile ready' and ensure that their families are prepared for emergencies and stay informed with official disaster information when an emergency occurs," said Governor McDonnell.
# # #